[Rhythmbox-devel] using rb with a new ipod nano

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get Rhythmbox 0.9.5 (compiled with libgpod) working with a
brand new iPod Nano, a 2Gb black one, on Ubuntu Dapper. The iPod has
never been plugged in to a Mac/Windows box.

If I enable the iPod Support plug in and start Rhythmbox with
--enable-ipod-writing, basically nothing happens. RB starts up but the
iPod never appears in the sidebar.

If I enable the Generic Audio Player plug in, the iPod shows up in the
sidebar but I obviously cannot transfer files to it.

So, is the problem with the iPod, that it has never talked to iTunes or
that I might have one of the new ones that libgpod doesn't recognise
(how would I tell?)? Or am I doing something else that is blatantly
obviously wrong?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but the list archives on
mail.gnome.org seem to be b0rked.

Here's what I'm using:

rhythmbox 0.9.5-1ubuntu1~dapper0.1
libgpod0  0.3.2-0ubuntu1