[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: UI Improvements

[...]

>> 2) Could we sort artists like iPod. So The Beatles will be placed
>> in the B's, not the T's

JL> This has been suggested plenty of times before, however there is a
JL> big issue: internationalisation.  If we make sorting ignore "a"
JL> and "the" should it also do so for languages other than English?

JL> If so, what do we do for "die"? because "Die Happy" should be
JL> sorted as D, and "Die Ärtze" should be sorted as A.
JL> If not, what happens when we run into the opposite problem of
JL> "the" being a word in a different language, that should be sorted
JL> with T?

JL> We can't do this depending on the user's language, because it
JL> won't work if they are multi-lingual or have songs that are from
JL> something other than their main language. The only real solution
JL> would be to use MusicBrainz's sort tags, which we don't do yet.

Can't we just make it work for users with en (en_US, en_GB, en_CA,
en_AU etc.) as their locale?  That would be good enough for 95% of
English language users (which tend to be the one's requesting it).
Yes, if "The" is word in another language it is a problem, but that's
pretty rare and I think iTunes would have the same issue there anyway.
Make it a gconf option or something.

Alex