Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Idea for new progress slider

I thought about that this summer and even started some hacking around
a non-linear slider which basically expands the resolution around the
current position. That was pretty convincing, thought not very usual.
Maybe I could fill a bug and share these early experiments there.

Christophe

On 12/21/06, Martin Jeppesen <d2xdt2 gmail com> wrote:
> I like the idea, even though it's somewhat unusual. I'd like to add to
> it though: I think it's (somewhat) important to be able to seek to far
> ends of the song sometimes. So even if centered on the current playing
> position, the progress bar should cover the entire track's length. In
> order to have a very high resolution near the current playing position,
> it could be scaled logarithmically or something, so as to be able to
> easily jump back both 10 seconds ("Did you hear that riff") and 15
> minutes or something on audiobooks ("I forgot to pause it when the phone
> rang...")

None-linear slider sounds like a good idea to me.

> I think it would take getting used to but would evolve into a powerful
> tool once you're used to it. In order to get used to the scaling, there
> might be tickmarks indicating like 10s back, 1m back, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that can be done as 10s
back will have a different location when there have gone 1 second.

Won't the tick marks have to adapt constantly?

> Also, since it's not the default way of doing progress bars, it should
> be optional, but advertised... ;)

Probably =)