Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Idea for new progress slider

Hi,

I like the idea, even though it's somewhat unusual. I'd like to add to
it though: I think it's (somewhat) important to be able to seek to far
ends of the song sometimes. So even if centered on the current playing
position, the progress bar should cover the entire track's length. In
order to have a very high resolution near the current playing position,
it could be scaled logarithmically or something, so as to be able to
easily jump back both 10 seconds ("Did you hear that riff") and 15
minutes or something on audiobooks ("I forgot to pause it when the phone
rang...")

I think it would take getting used to but would evolve into a powerful
tool once you're used to it. In order to get used to the scaling, there
might be tickmarks indicating like 10s back, 1m back, etc. They could
appear when the mouse hovers over the progress bar or be turned on or
off via the configuration, as I'd guess they wouldn't be the prettiest
thing. Also, the position you'd jump to if you clicked at the current
mouse position in the progress bar could be displayed in a tool tip or
instead of the 'current position' time. Actually, that might even be
better than the tooltip.

Also, since it's not the default way of doing progress bars, it should
be optional, but advertised... ;)

my two cents.
-karsten

--
Karsten Schmiedecke
Institut für Strömungsmechanik und Technische Akustik (ISTA)