Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] m4a files play but tags are unknown

On 12/17/06, Alex Lancaster <alexl users sourceforge net> wrote:

JR> I have lots of mp3 and m4a files.  All of the m4a files in my
JR> library used to be mixed in with all the other tags and played
JR> fine.  They still play but now all m4a files are categorized under
JR> Genre/Artist/Album Unknown.  I'm guessing this has something to do
JR> with the way gstreamer is reading the tags.  Does anyone know how
JR> to fix this?

JR> I'm running Gentoo RB-0.96 gstreamer-0.10.10
JR> gst-plugins-good-0.10.4 gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.4

The tags in m4a files are read by the qtdemux plugin which is actually
in gst-plugins-bad.  Which version of that package are you running?

that was it.  I did not have gst-plugins-bad installed.  I know have
0.10.3 installed and everything is cool.

Does this mean that the ability to read m4a tags relies on an
unmaintained plugin?  I thought that's what the bad package was for.
So will m4a tag support eventually just go away? *shiver*  Thanks for
the help.

John