Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Monitoring DAAP usage

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 13:18 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > > One option I suppose it to add a option in the preferences to set the
> > > max number of users or connections.
> >
> > That will add some complexity to the daap sharing code, because it
> > currently doesn't track connections. I'm not saying that we couldn't do
> > it, but it won't be trivial.
>
> It was more a thought. I don't know how much of an issue it actually
> is (the resource usage as opposed to the actually max connections). I
> think we need to get some real world data to see whether its worth
> spending the time. I suspect the fact it loads the whole file into
> memory to send would send the resources through the roof if there's
> lots of connections but it may be quicker/easier to implement an
> incremental load as mentioned by Charles than connection management
> but then I didn't code it so would be just guessing.

That patch Jonathan hacked up looks fine to me.  As far tracking
connections - its not all that much harder.  When someone connects,
generate a session id (right now its hard coded to 42) and send that to
the client.  You wouldn't even neccessarily have to look at the
session-id in all the requests, just the close connection one basically
- though I'm not sure if iTunes even sends that.

Maybe about 2 hours work.