[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: portable audio players and rhythmbox

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 18:11 +0200, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> ons 2005-10-19 klockan 23:34 +1100 skrev James Livingston:
> > I read that differently - and though that "storage" would include
> > anything that could be mounted as mass-storage.
> >
> > Take the iPod as an example, it can be mounted as mass storage and have
> > tracks copied to it, but that doesn't work because it needs the db to be
> > updated. From my reading of that, iPod would have access_method=storage.
>
> Why should it? Since you require special software that knows how to
> update the db it must be considered to have access method "user".
> Otherwise the "storage" doesn't mean anything...

access_method=user means that the device can't be mounted as
mass-storage, and that a library that speaks the devices protocol is
needed.

That reading of the spec if backed up by the fact that HALs data files
give iPods access_method=storage, which wouldn't be the case if you're
reading of it was correct - in particular line 10 of
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/hal/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players.fdi?view=markup

> Then the rhythmbox handling of the ipod I guess would just be to use the
> storage device for read-only access...

Rhythmbox could just load iPods as a generic player, but it would be
slower because it has to scan all the files, and it also wouldn't get
information on playcounts and rating.

So we can load anything with access_method=storage, with the "generic
player" source, but writing may not work.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way