Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] My Rhythmbox Hacking ToDo

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 07:53 +0100, Gabriel de Perthuis wrote:
<automatic playlist criteria>
> You could use indentation in the widget:
>
> Songs that are [either|...]     [Add condition]
> 	[rated|...] [over|...] [3]
> 	or [by|...] [morcheeba] ("contains" can be the default)
> 	or [both|...]            [add condition]
> 		[by|...] [jay jay johanson]
> 		and [not|...] [named|...] [on the radio]
>
> Or you could just accept a natural syntax (and i18n it):
> rated over 3 OR by Morcheeba OR (by jay jay johanson AND NOT named on
> the radio)
> With an example it would be easy to understand, and faster than a UI.

The former would probably be easier to do; parsing natural syntax when
i18n comes into play is probably hairy. I don't actually know, having
never done it, but I imagine you'd have to parse it in the current
language, store it in a specific one (i.e. English) and display it in
the current one. Possibly it's simple, but I wouldn't have a clue.

Looking at a section of my "playlists.xml" file:

<playlist name="Good" type="automatic" limit-count="0" limit-size="0">
  <conjunction>
    <equals prop="type">0</equals>
    <subquery>
      <conjunction>
        <greater prop="rating">3.000000</greater>
      </conjunction>
    </subquery>
  </conjunction>
</playlist>

So the playlists already support this in their definition; I'll have a
go later and see whether Rhythmbox actually handles this (in which case
it's just the UI missing), or whether Rhythmbox doesn't actually support
more complex definitions yet.

Also: does anyone know why the playlists always have the check for
type=0?

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 11:09 +0600, Haran Shivanan wrote:
> How about adding "Last Played" and "Play Count" to the criteria? So that
> you can, you know, create a playlist of songs you havn't heard recently.
> Or am I the only one who wants such a thing?

Yep, that something else I was thinking about, but forgot to mention in my
post: allowing you to have the rest of the fields that are stored as criteria.

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 23:00 -0800, Rene Valois wrote:
> While we're requesting automatic playlist features, I think it would be
> really cool to have an automatic playlist for music that has been added
> in the last week/month/whatever (a la itunes). This is my most missed
> feature from itunes, as it's very hard keeping track of my newest music.

Rhythmbox has a field for "modification time" (well, that what I assume
mtime means). I'm guess that updates whenever anything about the track
changes (including rating) in which case it isn't what we need, but I could
be wrong.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"I run Linux on pretty much everything except the microwave and washing
machine. Those are tempting targets but would probably make Telsa