Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Automatic Playlist UI work

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 19:19 +0200, Oliver Lemke wrote:
> Does the filtering by Artist, Title, Genre or Album work for you? I get
> a segfault everytime I select one of those from the options menu. The
> attached patch fixes it here.

Thanks for fixing those two bugs. I forgot to re-check to make sure the
browser was still working after I did the two new criteria.

The structure of rhythmdb_query_magic_transform was based on the the
iterative bits in the Playlist gui code, and I accidently left a bit in
there that needed to get taken out. Oops.

If anyone is actually using my branch rather than the merge branch (not
very likely I know), patch-8 is Oliver's fixes.

> The Rating criteria has some rounding problems. Some examples:
>
> 1. Selecting 'Rating equals 3' creates an empty playlist.
> 2. Selecting 'Rating is at least 4' shows all 5 star songs but not all 4
> star songs
> 3. Selecting 'Rating is less than 3' still adds a lot of 3 star songs to
> the playlist.

That would be autorating: you have a song which is rated at (say) 2.8,
this shows as three stars, but is technically less than three. Given
that you can't choose fractional ratings, we should probably compare it
against the rounded rating. Hopefully I haven't broken it, so it was
this way before, but it is definitely worth fixing.

> Some thoughts about usability: At the moment, it is not possible to
> remove the last criteria in the list because there's no remove button.
> Maybe the Add button can be moved up beside the top label and a remove
> button could be placed beside _each_ criteria similar to how it works in
> evolution's filter editor.

That makes sense. There is also space below the last add button and if
we put it there it would look like the add button "changed" into the
remove button for the newly-added criteria. The only possible problem
with that would be if the checkbox get a even longer label in some
languages. Any comments on where is best?

> And finally: The 'First Seen' criteria is drop-dead gorgeous! :-) Just a
> small remark (I know I'm getting on your nerves, sorry). Selecting
> 'First seen in the last 1 week' and limiting the list to 20 songs, I
> would expect to get the latest 20 songs which were added to the library.
> Currently, more or less arbitrary songs end up in the list. If this is
> something that will be solved with your work on the sorting, just forget
> it for now.

Yep it's a lack of sorting. You're asking it to give you 20 songs that
have been added in the last week; asking for the 20 most recent requires
sorting. It shouldn't be too hard to do, once I get around to it.

One thing I just thought of: the order that it performs operations is
filter->sort->limit, so I should probably move the sort-by widgets above
the limit widgets.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Your mouse has moved. Please restart Windows for the change to take
effect