Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: usage question

Quoting Jon Oberheide <jon focalhost com>:

> Gstreamer does indeed support visualizations and effects via its
> plugins.  The Goom
> (http://www.ios-software.com/index.php3?page=projet&quoi=1) plugin is
> already included in the latest gstreamer release.  The audio backend
> (gstreamer, xine) seems like the right place for visualization plugins
> as it is the part that would actually process the stream of data used to
> generate the visualization.
>
> Unfortunately, I've never used/seen the gstreamer plugins and am not
> sure what kind of additions would be necessary to rhythmbox to do so.
> If anyone has any experience using it, I'd be interested to know.

Rhythmbox needs a way to stuff plugins for various things between the decoding
and the audio-out part. This is not hard - it's in fact pretty easy or it
wouldn't already have been done for the volume control. The hard part is
getting it right inside Rhythmbox and/or providing a plugin mechanism for it,
so people who don't want to / can't use visualisation (goom takes insane
amounts of CPU power) have a way to disable it, and everybody using it has a
way to resize it correctly, display the right plugin and whatnot.

Benjamin