[Rhythmbox-devel] extending Rhythmbox [was Re: usage question]

OK, I wrote the original plug-in suggestion, but it seems I was a bit
misunderstood.

I don't think XMMS style plug-ins would be a good thing for Rhythmbox at
all.  I was using the term "plug-in" very loosely and did not mean
binary plug-ins ala XMMS or Netscape/Mozilla.  I was thinking more like
the ability to write Perl scripts for Gaim, or scripts for various IRC
clients.  I guess bindings would be a better term.

But after some reading and thinking, here's what I see.  Think of each
time someone suggests "use the bonobo interface" to a feature request.
So picture this:  A well documented bonobo interface, not only to player
functionality like Stop, Play, Next, etc. and information like currently
playing, etc. but also the ability to read and write to and from
RhythmDB.  Also, I think it would be very nice to have a UI setting
where if you put scripts in a directory you have the option to have them
run when Rhythmbox is running.  This last part is kind of "bonus" and
maybe a bit too much, but it would make running common scripts
accessible to normal users.

A few examples of how this would be handy:
-Someone wanted to have a playlist of songs they just added (I assume,
each batch added would have its own playlist).  So rather than using
Rhythmbox's built in import functionality, they write a script that adds
a directory of files to the database and adds a playlist with the same
files.

-Someone has a laptop that sometimes is on a network with MP3s on a
Samba share.  A script could be created to conditionally pop those files
into the database when the share is available and remove them when its
not.

-Someone wants to have a little window with album covers.

-Someone wanted to have Rhythmbox glean metadata from the filesystem
layout.  A script could be written to parse the path and plug that info
into the db.  Although I think they would be better off writing a script
to parse their filesystem layout and write the files' tags, which
wouldn't be too hard.

-A script to stick the currently playing song in a .plan file, Gaim
profile, web page, or what have you would be handy and a piece of cake.

Really a fair bit of this functionality is currently available, it's
just not documented well and it doesn't always behave nicely (ie.
getting ratings for auto-rated songs returns 2 when Rhythmbox displays
3).  I guess I'd suggest that this should be a higher priority.  I'm
also guessing that the response would be that people need to use it and
report bugs on it/document it themselves.  Alas, you have pinpointed my
laziness ;).

Oh and to address other things:  compile time flags are not a good way
to reduce/increase functionality.  Most people just stick with the
packages their distro gave them.  And the more extreme the suggestion
that arch supplants any plug-in system is ridiculous.  Shoot, I don't
think even all the developers have moved to arch yet, let alone the
"average Rhythmbox user".  It would be pretty silly of us to put so much
work into such a usable interface, and then say that if they want to use
or remove XY or Z that they have to fetch this or that arch patchset and
recompile.  I can just picture the deer-in-headlights look now.  Arch is
good for creating a place to independently develop a feature, but with
the intention of later merging back into the main branch. In other
words, it helps on the developers end, the user doesn't care if we use
Arch, CVS, or two strings and a can.  They just want to figure out if
they can do this or if they're stuck with that.

Anyway, I'll return to listening to music and doing work now.

--Mike Messmore