Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] playlist source burner

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:37:16 -0400, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> Fundamentally you need a local hard drive to support this.

The other day I burned an ISO off of a network share using Nautilus.
It didn't seem to use my local disk at all, instead burning straight
off of the network. I don't see why mkisofs couldn't be used to write
to a place on the network, and then burn using that.

> If your machines have CD burners, and the system administrator wants to
> support it, *and* you have the space somewhere, I don't see why the
> administrator would limit /tmp or whatever to less than 700 megs.  tmpfs
> can be swapped.

Yes, obviously it's reasonable to expect the administrator to set up
*somewhere* with some free space. But I think it should be easily
configurable. For example, I've seen /scratch used for temporary ISOs,
etc. Many admins feel that /tmp is really only for small things, and
since almost all distros wipe it at boot anyway, tmpfs makes sense for
thin-clients.

So my suggestion was not to say that you can't expect there to be
free, writable space. Obviously that's needed to create an ISO. Just
please don't expect it to be in /tmp, and if there isn't enough in
g_get_tmp_dir(), let another location be specified manually. It seems
as if others were making similar suggestions, so my comments were
probably redundant...

Have fun,

Peter