Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [PROPOSAL] A new rating approach

On gio, 2003-11-13 at 17:27 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 05:07, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> > Current approach is good and cool, but
> >      1. we are using a 'proprietary' widget
> >      2. this widget is not a11y capable (try using a11y theme)
>
> Right, and that's an important issue, especially if we're going to be
> included in GNOME.
>
> > 1. Disable the direct in-list editing: use the song/radio list only to
> > _display_ info.
>
> I don't like this - the HIG says to allow direct manipulation where
> possible, and here I think we can.  Why not have clicking on the rating
> thingy in the treeview pop up a menu too?

Dunno.... IMHO current implementation has at least two issue: first you
have to you have to 'scrub' to set the desired rating, second if you
place the mouse pointer over the rating column and you click to select
list entry, you change the rating.

Take a look to nautilus list view: when you click a list entry you can
only select it and you can't change file name re-clicking on in. I
remember a long discussion on nautilus list about it: second click lets
you to edit the name. But I don't remember results....

Same behavior for lists demos in GTK+: first clic select the list row,
second click enable you to edit the "cell".

I'm not saying that we shouldn't follow the direct manipulation, just we
have to follow common behavior. HIG (1.0) don't say anything about it.

Popup menu can save us from the "scrub" issue, but don't save us from
the select row at first click for all column issue :-(

> > The simple * char (U+002A asterisk) can be replaced with the "U+25CF
> > BLACK CIRCLE" character. I'm using here the *, but it's really odd in
> > UI.
>
> Why not U+2605 BLACK STAR: ★

'cause it's ugly on my system :-) And it's so small (on my system): can
we use the <big> tag in menu and list?

The dot char is 'font safe' IMHO. But we can add a gconf key to
customize desired char.

> > 3. Add a new submenu in Edit
> >
> >         Edit -> _Rating ->
> >                         [ _0 No rating ]
> >                         |  -- |
> >                         | _1 *         |
>
> So if we allow direct manipulation (and I think we should), then do you
> think it's really going to be common enough to set the rating of a lot
> of songs at once to make this menu entry worthwhile?

You can cut, copy or delete multiple items per time, isn't it? So IMHO
allow rating multiple items per time make rb consistent with itself and
with other application.