[Rhythmbox-devel] [PROPOSAL] A new rating approach

Current approach is good and cool, but
     1. we are using a 'proprietary' widget
     2. this widget is not a11y capable (try using a11y theme)
     3. you can't unset the rate
     4. you can't set the rate to multiple items at the same time
     5. some minor issue

Rate a song/radio is an important feature of Rhythmbox: users should
have the ability to do it everywhere in a coherent mode.

So the proposal:

1. Disable the direct in-list editing: use the song/radio list only to
_display_ info.

2. Remove the rate-widget in properties dialog and use a simple option
menu with

        [ No rating ]
        | --------- |
        | *         |
        | **        |
        | ***       |
        | ****      |
        [ *****     ](1)

The simple * char (U+002A asterisk) can be replaced with the "U+25CF
BLACK CIRCLE" character. I'm using here the *, but it's really odd in
UI.

3. Add a new submenu in Edit

        Edit -> _Rating ->
                        [ _0 No rating ]
                        |  ----------- |

4. Add the same submenu in song/radio list pop up menu

5. Add the same menu in tray icon, probably s/_Ration/_Rate this Song
and adding a "Rating: XXX" in tooltip to show current rating.

6. Use the * char in list too ;-)

Notes: 3. and 4. should work for ALL selected item in list!!!