Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [PROPOSAL] A new rating approach

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 05:07, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Current approach is good and cool, but
>      1. we are using a 'proprietary' widget
>      2. this widget is not a11y capable (try using a11y theme)

Right, and that's an important issue, especially if we're going to be
included in GNOME.

> 1. Disable the direct in-list editing: use the song/radio list only to
> _display_ info.

I don't like this - the HIG says to allow direct manipulation where
possible, and here I think we can.  Why not have clicking on the rating
thingy in the treeview pop up a menu too?

> The simple * char (U+002A asterisk) can be replaced with the "U+25CF
> BLACK CIRCLE" character. I'm using here the *, but it's really odd in
> UI.

Why not U+2605 BLACK STAR: ★

> 3. Add a new submenu in Edit
>
>         Edit -> _Rating ->
>                         [ _0 No rating ]
>                         |  ----------- |
>                         | _1 *         |
>                         | _2 **        |
>                         | _3 ***       |

So if we allow direct manipulation (and I think we should), then do you
think it's really going to be common enough to set the rating of a lot
of songs at once to make this menu entry worthwhile?

> 5. Add the same menu in tray icon, probably s/_Ration/_Rate this Song
> and adding a "Rating: XXX" in tooltip to show current rating.

Hm, maybe.  Personally I think we're going to have to get rid of the
tray icon soon anyways; it seems to violate the HIG draft entry I saw.

This is a digitally signed message part