Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: rhythmbox: gstreamer vs xine

Hi,

> interesting.
> so you have probably never tried xine either because you are describing
> exactly the same ways a plugin can be disabled in libxine! ;)

No, I've used xine since around 0.4.2 I think.  I even did some
contributions to dvdnav, but no code :)
BTW, I wasn't speaking for me, I was speaking for Red Hat and what people
told me.  I would imagine that it wasn't just as easy as doing
--disable-mp3 for xine, because if it were they would have done it.
Or, alternatively, maybe they decided that since xine is primarily a video
player, but they couldn't put in any "free" video codecs, it wasn't worth
packaging it anyway.  But I don't know, I don't work at red hat :)

> > So, I don't mind.  But of course, it sucks that a standard Red Hat
> > install  won't allow you to play lots of the media that's out there.
> > But what can  you do ? It's the patents that are the problem here.
>
> well, nothing i guess. the xine project, for example, does not provides
> any binaries to avoid that kind of mess. of course, there are several
> third party packages out there (including some distros).

Yeah, well - there will always be more people using it from packages than
from source I think.

FWIW, I don't have the solution either... It's a tough situation.

Thomas

"You don't need a girlfriend, you need a maid !"
"Isn't that the same thing ?"
"Uh uh, baby, you're in the wrong century."
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->