Re: [xine-devel] [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: rhythmbox: gstreamer vs xine

Hi Kenneth,

> d) Split up libxine into libxine (with plug-ins not containing patents)
> and libxine-plugins (containing plug-ins with license problems). Then
> let xine tell the user to download libxine-plugins if he tried to play a
> format that is not included in libxine but in libxine-plugins.

that's distro problem. they can take our tarball and split it into as many
packages as they want. just like they must be doing with gstreamer, for
example.

i don't think we should waste time splitting packages if it would make a
harder time to our current users. also distro decisions are very volatile,
they dropped xine as fast as they included it.

the support to inform users about missing plugins is already working.
everything else is mostly political or administration stuff.

regards,

Miguel