Re: [xine-devel] [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: rhythmbox: gstreamer vs xine

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 15:01, Guenter Bartsch wrote:
> hallo miguel,
>
> > i would love to see that problems with patents solved, as well seeing
> > gnome/kde/redhat/mandrake/suse/whatever users enjoying high quality
> > multimedia experience. i just don't know what would be the point in
> > including packages in a cripped form (like not being able to play mp3,
> > because like we or not it's a de fact standard).
>
> incomplete packages are indeed very annoying especially as it seems that
> some distros sell their distro but refuse to give users support and so
> they end up on xine-user asking why xine doesn't play back asf streams
> and we have to find out the hard way that their distro decided to
> include xine packages with certain plugins removed.
>
> of course there are ways to resolve the patent issue, for example:
>
> a) go into politics and try to make an end to the whole evil software
>    patenting that nobody (except patent lawyers) has benefits from
>    anyway
>
> b) play by the rules and license all necessary patents - from what i've
>    heard, mpeg isn't that expensive so red hat would have to spend a few
>    bucks for each package they sell to the patent holders
>
> c) wait for the patents to expire ;) (...hey, lots of time to stabilize
>    1.0!)

Red Hat tries to do a), and won't do b) because it sells Free
Software... Of course, I'm talking for myself and not Red Hat. I would
still really like to see my software in the distro my colleagues are
making, because it seems like such a waste...

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault