Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] node tree structure

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 14:00, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> So you think that it is bad that the library and iradio have a slighly
> different structure? ;) Well dude, _of course_ they are different, they
> are entirely different things! You can't expect one piece of code to
> insert a song into the library and insert a radio station into the radio
> station tree. They are different things, so different code, that is not
> called code duplication ;)

I don't think it's bad that they have different structure; I think it's
bad that they both have to tediously maintain this tree structure that
could be done generically.  The same for CD source.

I just want to get rid of as much as the complicated code as possible
from the sources.

> You can easily query the flat list of all songs for certain properties,
> returning a subset. This is exactly what rbnodefilter does, and
> rbnodeview even supports setting a rbnodefilter so filtering works out
> of the box. The artist/album-browser uses this filter too, by the way.

Yes, I know.  It works, but I think that it's overly complicated, and
doesn't allow for optimizing queries other than artist/album/genre; what
if we want to index on the rating too?

> About SQL .. I can only hope you are not serious.

I think it makes a lot of sense, personally.  But, making two large
changes to the codebase at one time probably isn't a good idea.  I'll
hold off on the database stuff for now and just work on sources.