Re: API freeze exception request for gcr

Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro posteo net> writes:

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:02 AM, Daiki Ueno <ueno gnu org> wrote:
I am not yet sure if we could make the gnome-keyring change to 3.28,
but
nevertheless, having the gcr API as part of the 3.28 release would
make
the future development easier.

I don't think there's much point in putting this API into gcr 3.28
unless you're able to finish the ssh-agent work as well. You can just
as easily land it after the freeze, right?

That's true, indeed.

The ssh-agent work seems extremely desirable, though. I'm tired of
rebooting my computer whenever our ssh-agent breaks. So if the
ssh-agent changes are ready to go in, I would give +1.

I'm not sure if it would contribute to the stability.  The new code is
inherently brittle because of more processes involved (ssh-agent,
ssh-add, and gcr-ssh-askpass).  The primary intention of this is to
lower the maintenance burden so we wouldn't need to follow up the
changes made in OpenSSH in the future.

Anyway, after using it for a week (and fixing several bugs...), I think
it's now in an acceptable quality, so I am going to merge it in 3.27.92
unless there is any objection.

If anyone could help testing it, there is a copr repository:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ueno/gnome-keyring/
(use gcr-3.27.90-0.2 and gnome-keyring-3.27.90-0.7)

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno