Re: late coming features

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 08:55:10AM -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 6:32 AM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 08:29:41AM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
First, Kalev and Richard are merging Kalev's work on moving codec (and
font, mime-handler, etc) installation support from gnome-packagekit to
gnome-software. This will let us drop gnome-packagekit for good. This
affects gnome-software, PackageKit, gstreamer and totem. Merging is
underway for this.

Does gnome-software really work on anything other than Fedora? I'm going
to push for this on Mageia, but think we need to do a bit more outreach.
Further, probably need to inform distribution-list that they need to get
gnome-software working.

I belive it works fine in openSUSE.  RPM based distros seem to be
fine, but I can't speak for Debian.  Arch for sure, it doesn't work
and thus Arch users are getting a major regression of not being able
to use gnome-software to manage software groups and so forth.  I
understand that work is continuing for integration.

Ehr? Mageia is an RPM based distribution, it does not work. So before
breaking some distribution they need to be pre-warned. This I asked for.

Next, there is the rewrite of the gnome-shell theme into sass by Jakub
and Carlos Soriano.
[..]
I'm fairly confident that we'll ge the codec install merging done
today, but gnome-shell may need an extra day or so to sort out the
branches. Given that we've already punted on the notification redesign
once, I think we should try to get this in for 3.16.

Feature based releases is bad, but 3.16 would be boring without it, so
think it is nice.

I think people will be disappointed if we let notifications slip
another release.

Release team is not the engagement team. This discussion is on the
release team list. There are different considerations.

--
Regards,
Olav