Re: working on a bigger proposal

On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 15:27 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 08:57:21AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
The Intel team is fairly confident that they can keep X and Wayland
working in parallel in mutter, so we should be able to have a 3.10
gnome-shell release that lets you try Wayland, but still defaults to
using X underneath. I'm not so sure we want to maintain two code paths
indefinitely, though

That is what I am after. Do you know how long we should support this
minimally for distributions?

e.g. for conservative distribution POV (Debian FTW!)
3.10: Wayland = 'alpha'
3.12: Wayland = 'beta'
3.14: Wayland = 'release'
3.16: xorg = alpha :P

I prefer being honest up front towards distributions.

Would be good to have some sort of advice for distributions who want to
support multiple DE at the same time. With that I mean that they might
have KDM+GDM on the same DVD.

(I hope my comments make somse sense.)
"Most parts of GNOME will still work under X" wording currently sounds
like something we wouldn't have any influence on, plus potentially scary
for distributions.
Missing a clearer statement on "support level" here.
Up to which version would we fix potential breakage and plan to "fully
support" X working flawlessly?
When will we not care ourselves anymore about full X support but would
accept patches? I assume we leave it up to module maintainers to also
accept patches for GNOME modules to support other display servers?

Policy should be aligned to / described in
https://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/WhatWeRelease

KDE FYI: According to KDE's Eike Hein, KDE currently has "no plans to
stop X from fully working, and the idea is to support Wayland just as
well, i.e. there are also no plans to make it a default - this will be
largely up to downstreams. Eventually, we expect most people will be
using Wayland." Long version on
http://vizzzion.org/blog/2013/01/the-road-to-kde-frameworks-5-and-plasma-2/

andre
--