Re: Requiring systemd for the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 14:17 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> As a developer (and working for an OS vendor), I *do* want more OS
> vendors to step up and intensify their participation in the project.
> Yes, more participation from several different OS vendors might slow
> down feature development a bit (for example, landing a *simple*
> library-based abstraction for systemd's logind mechanism), but at the
> end of the day, it's probably going to be a win for everyone.

A library abstraction for systemd's logind mechanism that provides a
fallback to non-systemd backend(s) is something that I am certainly
interested in, and am willing to help create, if it would prevent
gnome-3.8 from having a hard dependency on systemd.

First, we need to figure out what functionality the consumers of such a
library would require. So far, I see the following:

1. suspend / hibernate / poweroff / reboot
2. a prepare-for-suspend/poweroff signal
3. a power management inhibit mechanism that wraps
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/inhibit

Is there anything else that would be needed?

-Alexandre