Re: Requiring systemd for the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 10:18 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Bastien:
>
> I was not trying to suggest that there was no GNOME portability
> documentation.  Instead I was saying that it should not be
> surprising that non-Linux distros (and many popular Linux distros)
> are making very slow progress with GNOME 3 based on the quality
> and scope of the existing documentation.
>
>    https://live.gnome.org/PortabilityMatrix
>
> The Portability Matrix you highlight is a good example of this.
> The matrix highlights that some distros use different solutions for
> various features, but no information is provided to help any distro
> know what should be considered when making decisions.  Most of the
> rows in the matrix assume that the reader already understands what
> is even being described.  For example, the matrix highlights that
> gsd "power" features use "logind".  Most readers would likely need
> to review the code to understand what specific power features are
> actually being described here or why they might need logind.  Most
> rows in the table are like this, so this matrix is only a very
> useful guide if the reader has many hours to invest to understand
> how the information applies to them.  To me, the matrix looks more
> like a draft of an outline to a guide, but it is a start.

You expect somebody to not invest any time learning about the
technologies we use, and then replace them? The code's there for
everybody to see, unlike the Sun Ray's code. The people porting that
code should certainly be putting some effort in understanding the
technologies before getting decisions about whether it should be
supported.

> On 10/22/12 01:15 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 13:33 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> >> The GNOME community provides little guidance about what systemd
> >> interfaces are actually needed for various GNOME features to work
> >> properly.  Maybe nobody really knows yet, but non-Linux distros will
> >> likely make slow progress as long as there is so little good
> >> guidance.
> >
> > This page:
> > https://live.gnome.org/PortabilityMatrix
> > was created for that purpose 6 months ago.
>
> Considering GNOME 3.6 is out the door, 6 months ago seems already
> quite late to be providing guides on how to port to GNOME 3, but
> late is better than never.

The page was created in 2010, and it's a Wiki. Only 2 people handling
non-Linux filled it up (that would be Antoine for OpenBSD and Tor for
Windows). Where's all the Solaris hackers updating the Wiki?