Re: Requiring systemd for the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin

Hey,

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Brian Cameron <brian cameron oracle com> wrote:
> Right.  So, you probably are not surprised that things are moving along
> slowly either.  :)

Actually I'm quite excited about the development pace for GNOME
nowadays - there are lots of cool *user-visible* features landing in
new releases. The fact that it's hard for some OSes to keep up is an
interesting indicator that the focus in GNOME is more on features than
(boring [1]) abstraction / portability work. I'm not saying that's
100% right - in fact, my previous mails calls for help in that area -
but as an end-user, I'm pretty excited about GNOME. I would definitely
not characterize it as "moving along slowly".

As a developer (and working for an OS vendor), I *do* want more OS
vendors to step up and intensify their participation in the project.
Yes, more participation from several different OS vendors might slow
down feature development a bit (for example, landing a *simple*
library-based abstraction for systemd's logind mechanism), but at the
end of the day, it's probably going to be a win for everyone.

    David

[1] : I'm entitled to label it this way because I've done a lot of
this kind of work - it really is not very exciting or sexy :-)