Re: introspection for 2.32

Le vendredi 10 septembre 2010, à 15:31 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> >
> > Hrm, at least in openSUSE, we've built the introspection support in
> > clutter for a looong time (May 2009, apparently), and I've never seen
> > this issue :-) We currently have clutter 1.3.12 -- is the issue
> > specific to something more recent? Anyway, I'll trust you here :-)
>
> You'd only see this when the pkg-config files are added to .girs, like this:
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/atk/commit/?id=380204b95cb0a611df0233bf6275b5b511268240
>
> That one was this week; there were earlier ones basically which made
> the scanner try to run pkg-config for something not installed.

Thanks for the explanation.

> > I'm sorry if I missed it, but I think you didn't answer my main question
> > :-) For distributors, is it just a matter of rebuilding the packages, or
> > will they have to patches all the tarballs where they want introspection
> > support?
>
> Not all will need to be rebuilt, but some will.  I've been patching
> modules to use GOBJECT_INTROSPECTION_CHECK([0.9.5])  (which thus adds
> a hard 0.9.5-or-nothing dep) in order to use the new
> --identifier-prefix; however *some* modules could get away with
> staying on --strip-prefix since i *just* readded that.
>
> But trying to get or any complex module like Clutter to build with
> 0.9.3 would be a mess without backporting.  (Clutter just this week
> gained a new ClutterX11 sub-library e.g.)

Okay, so this what we have:

 + all modules need to be built with the same gir format. Could be 1.1
   with old g-i, or 1.2 with 0.9.5. Nothing new here, just restating the
   obvious.
 + some modules will (or already do) require 0.9.5.
 + modules that stayed with --strip-prefix will build with old g-i, but
   also with 0.9.5 now (since you readded --strip-prefix).

So far, it feels to me that using 0.9.5 is okay, since it's mostly a
matter of rebuilding things.

Is it okay to just bump the version of the gir format to 1.2 with a
patch for tarballs that ship with a .gir that cannot be generated? For
example: DBusGLib-1.0.gir in gir-repository, or AvahiCore-0.6.gir in
avahi. Or is it likely that the changes in the format will affect such
.gir files?

Thanks,