Re: introspection for 2.32

Hi,

Le vendredi 10 septembre 2010, à 09:59 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> >
> >> Is it just a matter of rebuilding the packages that have introspection
> >> support? Or will they break in weird ways because of that change?
>
> The complication comes from the fact that before, we only had a
> --strip-prefix option for the scanner.  The semantics of that were
> messed up; in 0.9.5 we added two new different options,
> --identifier-prefix and --symbol-prefix which are a lot clearer and
> supportable.
>
> We also added --include-uninstalled for the complicated case of
> Clutter, which actually builds 4 different GIR files from the same
> .so, with dependencies between them.  Previously clutter+g-i
> effectively BuildRequired itself because the scanner would be looking
> in the installed tree...we didn't really notice because the normal
> jhbuild workflow has previously-installed versions, but of course OS
> vendor build processes don't (but this doesn't get tested until very
> late in the release process).

Hrm, at least in openSUSE, we've built the introspection support in
clutter for a looong time (May 2009, apparently), and I've never seen
this issue :-) We currently have clutter 1.3.12 -- is the issue
specific to something more recent? Anyway, I'll trust you here :-)

[...]

> My recommendation is basically that 2.32 distributors take a choice of
> 0.9.5 or nothing; for the latter, in practice it's just a few
> gnome-games.  I don't think we're planning to do a GNOME 3 preview
> release for 2.32 - but if we were, we could require g-i.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but I think you didn't answer my main question
:-) For distributors, is it just a matter of rebuilding the packages, or
will they have to patches all the tarballs where they want introspection
support?

Cheers,