introspection for 2.32

Hi,

I wanted to be sure you guys had seen:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2010-August/msg00254.html

I just had a conversation with seb128 from Ubuntu.  Basically they
want to ship g-i 0.9.3, but in git master I've moved on and been
updating modules to use 0.9.5, with the understanding that for 2.32,
dependency uptake on introspection is low, so:

* It can be a "preview" state (and I'll do a 0.9.5 release for that), or
* it can be dropped for 2.32 (which means we lose a few gnome-games I believe)

Any feedback is appreciated.

Full log:

<-- mpt has quit (Quit: Ex-Chat)
<seb128> ricotz, is 0.9.5 or 0.9.6 changing abi again?
<ricotz> 0.9.5 has
 but there are no releases since 0.9.3
<seb128> ok so there is no way we break abi one week before the hard freeeze
<ricotz> the current 2.22 branch depends on it, so the next pre-release will
 not sure how many reverts it would take
<seb128> well if it comes to it we will just drop all the gir builds
for maverick
 we have other issues now that dealing with abi breaks for things we don't use
 but http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=gtk-2-22 suggests it's
one commit to revert
<seb128> walters, ^
 walters, hey
 walters, is there any recommended gir version to use for GNOME 2.32?
<ricotz> seb128, i think they are currently updating them all to use
0.9.5, also clutter
<-- chrisccoulson has quit (Quit: Ex-Chat)
--> chrisccoulson (~chr1s ubuntu/member/chrisccoulson) has joined
#ubuntu-desktop
<seb128> like one week before hard freeze they break abi and requirements?
<walters> seb128: we should be able to have a 0.9.6 "mostly frozen"
release for 2.32, and i expect most things to build against it; we've
made a lot of progress there.  But it won't be stable until around
gtk3
<seb128> :-(
--> bratsche (~cody cpe-72-181-195-197 tx res rr com) has joined #ubuntu-desktop
<-- bratsche has quit (Changing host)
--> bratsche (~cody ubuntu/member/bratsche) has joined #ubuntu-desktop
<-- ivanka has quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
<seb128> ricotz, walters: I guess we will use 0.9.3 and revert commits
to gtk etc if they update requirement
<-- nessita has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
<ricotz> seb128, this will make it hard do some public g-s testing
build :( without rebuiling a bunch of packages
<walters> seb128: i can do another release by tomorrow if that helps
<seb128> ricotz, well don't do g-s testing this cycle I guess
 we will have next distro open in a few weeks
<seb128> walters, well our hard freeze is next week it's late to break
abi and rebuild everything especially if we need source changes
<walters> ah
<seb128> but thanks
 vuntz, ^ not nice that GNOME 2.32 brings abi changes requirements that late
<seb128> walters, ideally you would let 2.32 on the current abi, ie
0.9.3 now and keep work toward 3 on the new serie
--> nessita (~nessita host32 201-252-182 telecom net ar) has joined
#ubuntu-desktop
<walters> hmm
<seb128> I doubt anybody is going to make anything useful from gir in
GNOME 2.32 anyway
<walters> seb128: well, for 2.32 the only thing that depends on g-i is
gnome-games AFAIK
<seb128> well the things is that we build gir binaries from the
different source now
 even if nothing use those
<bcurtiswx_> empathy depends on gobject introspection,
<seb128> if you break abi in GNOME between 2.31.91 or 2.31.92 it will
mean distributors will need to transition the whole gir stack
 we already have things we had to distro hack for 0.9.3
 ie webkit
 because they code the abi to 1.0
<bcurtiswx_> but I think in the build you can --disable-introspection
for empathy if you wanted to not worry about GIR yet.
<-- bratsche has quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
<walters> seb128: i'll talk to release team directly about the 2.32
story; my understanding was that dependency uptake was pretty low, and
was the reason we moved forward in trying to fix stuff
 there are far larger problems than just the internal g-i typelib
format changes; vast swaths of the stack remaining unannotated was the
reason the rewrite landed to give better errors
<seb128> walters, thanks
 walters, but yeah it's probably less an issue for GNOME than distributors
<seb128> like GNOME doesn't care about fixing webkit for 2.32
 but distributor have to if there is a transition
<-- cking has quit (Quit: Ex-Chat)
<walters> ah...what's the webkit issue exactly?
--> bratsche (~cody ubuntu/member/bratsche) has joined #ubuntu-desktop
--- al-maisan is now known as almaisan-away
<-- tedg has quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
 mat_t has quit (Quit: This computer has gone to sleep)
 chaotic has quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
--> ivanka (~ivanka 91 189 88 12) has joined #ubuntu-desktop
<-- bcurtiswx_ has quit (Remote host closed the connection)
--> cking (~king cpc7-craw6-2-0-cust128 croy cable virginmedia com)
has joined #ubuntu-desktop
 mclasen (~mclasen c-98-229-128-128 hsd1 ma comcast net) has joined
#ubuntu-desktop
<-- mclasen has quit (Remote host closed the connection)
--> mclasen (~mclasen c-98-229-128-128 hsd1 ma comcast net) has joined
#ubuntu-desktop
<seb128> walters, they ship a gir with the version set to 1.0
 walters, nothing important but it's just an example of thing which
broke with the previous abi change in our rebuilds
<seb128> I'm rather concerned that the new changes would mean change
to makefile in some sources