Fwd: Re: Reminder : do NOT hardcode deprecation flags in tarball / new tarballs NEEDED

Please, we need new tarballs which build with gtk+ 2.19.7. This is blocking 2.29.92 release.

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: Re: Reminder : do NOT hardcode deprecation flags in tarball / new tarballs NEEDED
Date : Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:05:53 +0100
De : Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Pour : desktop-devel-list gnome org

Le 12/01/2010 18:50, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
Hi everyone,

just a quick reminder about deprecation flags and tarball release :
please avoid at all cost to hardcode deprecation flags in compilation
flags, when a module is built from a tarball (it is ok to have such
flags when building from gi checkout).

Why, you may ask ?

Well, I'm currently strugling with smoketesting GNOME 2.29.5 release and
there are some tarballs no longer building because new G_SEAL
deprecation were added in yesterday GTK+ 2.19.3 release and some modules
were not fixed for this.

Current guilty modules :
- vte (bedhad is cooking a new release)
- gnome-utils

In a similar idea, try to avoid releasing tarballs which depends on
other unreleased tarball module version.

Since I'm the release team member taking care of 2.29.92 release, I'm
going to rant again against modules which are hardcoding deprecation
flags in their configure.in (or Makefile.am), even when building from
tarballs. Please, avoid that, it is killing us, since many released
modules are not building with latest gtk+ 2.19.7 (new deprecated added).
If you want to use deprecation flags, check in configure.in if you are
in a git checkout and enable them in that case, but do not enable them
by default in tarballs.

Current guilty modules, which needs a new release NOW (this is blocking
GNOME 2.29.92 release):
-gnome-python-desktop (doesn't build with latest totem-pl-parser, it seems)
-clutter-gtk
-evince
-gconf-editor
-gucharmap