Re: Gnash as GNOME flash player ?

On 08/09/10 14:05, Andre Klapper wrote:

>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Rob Savoye wrote:
>> I see that GNOME has dropped swfdec
>
> That would be news to me. Any references?

  I'd have till go look for it, I stumbled across it doing a blog search
for Gnash a month or so ago.

> Swfdec is pretty dead (as per a chat with its maintainer a few months
> ago), however it is still shipped with GNOME.

  Swfdec was announced dead over 1.5 years ago, and doesn't handle as
many sites as Gnash does. If it's dead and unmaintained, why ship it ?
Gnash is still under active development, the next release comes out in a
few weeks.

> Actively developed modules in the area of free Flash support that I am
> currently aware of are Gnash and Lightspark.

  Now that Gnash and Lightspark work together, swf v10 works too. So the
combo gives us all a reasonably functional and free flash player. Even
without Lightspark assistance, Gnash handles 100% of YouTube videos now.

	- rob -