Re: Gnash as GNOME flash player ?

Hi,

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Rob Savoye wrote:
> I see that GNOME has dropped swfdec

That would be news to me. Any references?

> , since it's a dead
> project, and now ships Gnash with GNOME.

Swfdec is pretty dead (as per a chat with its maintainer a few months
ago), however it is still shipped with GNOME.

> If this is true, can we publically make Gnash the GNOME flash player ?

The rules that we have had in GNOME so far for module inclusion
proposals are listed in the wiki[1].
GNOME has had its "module proposal period" at the beginning of each
6-months release cycle which is defined in the release schedule (the
2.33/3.0 schedule is not yet available but should be soon).

However there is an ongoing debate[2] whether to change the current
module proposal system.
As a side effect it would also avoid cases in which the release-team
(that currently makes the final decisions) would have to choose between
several good applications that fit very similar needs (for historical
references: Banshee and Rhythmbox, Beagle and Tracker).
Actively developed modules in the area of free Flash support that I am
currently aware of are Gnash and Lightspark.

andre

[1] http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/ModuleProposing
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2010-June/msg00000.html

--