Re: Final say on controversial topics (was Fwd: Appearance properties)

Le mardi 10 novembre 2009, à 14:54 -0500, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
> > In short:
> >
> > Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 17:31 +0100 schrieb Vincent Untz:
> >> would it make sense to have the release team (or some other group)
> >> "control" things a bit more?
> >
> > 1) I wonder what that could mean.

Say: "this is what should be done".

> > 2) As we sometimes have similar "different opinions" in the release-team
> > itself (we simply don't use the mailinglist for discussing them but
> > prefer IRC, I think) I'd wonder how the need for more "control" in
> > specific cases would be decided in the r-t.

"control" is probably not the most appropriate word. But if you take the
release team (or from another group, who'd play such a role) would
reduce the noise.

As to what to do if we share different opinions ourselves: I have no
solution off-hand since I just wanted to raise this question. I'm
convinced we could find one. I mean, in the worst case, we simply vote.
(although having different opinions on something might also mean that
a third solution for the topic (different from yes/no) would be better)

> The people who scream now about lack of 'proper announcements' will
> complain about being excluded from the 'secret cabal' then. Other than
> that, not much will change.

There will alway be complaints, and we're not avoiding the secret cabal
issue today. Documenting who is the cabal and making things public (via
the mailing list, or minutes from irc discussions, or...) is a first
step to kill the conspiracy theories.

> The underlying problem here is the lack of a unifying vision and a
> strong personality to push it. Trying to compensate with process and
> 'control' is not going to fix this.

I beg to disagree. We've been slowly changing the release team to push a
vision and we're pushing things as a team. Sure, it's not at the level
we need it, but it's happening. The question I raised is whether the
release team should be pushing even more than what we're doing.

And I'm not saying that I'm raising the best solution: on the contrary,
I'd love to hear another proposal to improve the situation.

(Note that, eg, Jon has been requesting such a change for some time too,
iirc, since it would also help push changes faster)