Re: GDM version used for GNOME 2.24?

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk gmail com> wrote:
>>> Don't understimate this kind of stuff.
>>
>> I do understand that people like theming but I also believe theming a
>> login screen leads to bad results. We should permit people to do so
>> but it's not a stopper for me.
>
> And it is not a stopper for me, either. _However_, it is essential for
> someone to pick up where gdmsetup left and start to code. Sure,
> gdmsetup was old and somehow obsolete, but it was working. So we need
> something which works for most needed functions, at least, as soon as
> possible.
>
> I would like to do that, but I don't have enough expierence to do this
> effectively on short notice. Of course, if no one picks it up in two
> weeks, I propably would be lured into doing this using pygtk.

Okay, after taking a quick look (2 minutes literally) at the current
code there is no obvious place to change the chooser/greeter. However
adding the autologin feature to the user/group admin tool should be
easy:

It seems you can set all the keys using DBus system bus. The path is
/org/gnome/DisplayManager/Settings and the interface is
org.gnome.DisplayManager.Settings. The only two intresting methods are
GetValue and SetValue.

The list of all possible keys can be found in common/gdm-settings-keys.h

These are:

[x] (1) Automatically log in user [ johndoe |↓] (2) if no user is
selected for [ 30 ] (3) seconds.

(1) daemon/TimedLoginEnabled
(2) daemon/TimedLogin
(3) daemon/TimedLoginDelay