Re: GDM version used for GNOME 2.24?

2008/9/4 Colin Walters <walters verbum org>:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
>>
>> In terminal server deployments, the gdm configuration is not trivial
>> to setup, it usually requires tweaking the text file directly to get
>> where you want. I consider having  no migration path and no UI tool a
>> huge regression.
>
> Personally I think we should be pushing admins towards things like
> preconfigured terminal server images or puppet configuration.  In any
> case our story on graphical admin tools in general is not very good,
> not having gdmsetup doesn't seem like it's going to make a big
> difference.

Except scenarios when people want to manage GDM themes (almost one of
four situations) or when they want to create auto login, or...

That is really shortsighted argument that gdmsetup is only used by
admins. It is used by common users, as most of other configuration
tools (no matter how buggy they are).

There MUST be a gdmsetup replacement. Period. Why we have this
conversation in fact? It was the same with gio/gvfs, when "who cares
when there is no Connect to Server...dialog" was a top tune here.

I personally as user can accept that gdm is released without config
tool, but I would really like to see development of new one.

Just my two cents,
cheers,
Peter.