Re: GDM version used for GNOME 2.24?

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 22:27 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> So,
>
> the release-team normally asks on d-d-l for comments on new modules and
> dependencies.
> In this case I'd like to ask for valuable feedback on gdm trunk.
>
> Among the release-team there are different opinions whether to use trunk
> or 2.20.x for GNOME 2.24 and hence different opinions on regressions
> (and the definition of that term) and missing or rewritten
> functionality.
> As far as I know, Fedora and Foresight ship trunk, while Ubuntu and
> Mandriva tend to ship 2.20.x. Opensuse releases in December so no real
> use in asking them. No idea about Debian.
>
> Don't know if providing links to former discussion threads might
> influence opinions. Feel free to ignore these links and to share your
> own non-influenced experience instead:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2008-August/msg00021.html
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gdm-list/2008-July/msg00028.html
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2008-August/msg00072.html
>
> We'd like to have a decision made by this weekend so there's two weeks
> left for translators. Comments highly welcome, so you can't blame
> release-team only in the end. ;-)

According to what I'm reading in those links, I'd say
it's not ready yet.  No configuration migration plus
no graphical configuration?  I mean, configuration
migration is *most* important on the first release.

We have a six-month release cycle for a reason.  Let's
wait.  In six months, we can make a release that makes
people say "Wow", instead of releasing now and making
people say "WTF".

--
Shaun