Re: GDM version used for GNOME 2.24?

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Diego Escalante Urrelo <diegoe gnome org> wrote:
> #1 reason why my friends drool for GNOME: you can switch themes (that
> includes gdm and desktop for them).
>
> I confirm that there's a mass of people that actually change GDM
> themes just because they want to, first thing I do in every computer I
> install is to remove the ugly Ubuntu gdm theme and put something else.
>
> Just take a look at art.gnome.org:
>  http://art.gnome.org/themes/gdm_greeter/
>
> If it wasn't important, people would not be theming it like crazy, I
> humbly think we shouldn't take this feature like a trivial one, just
> look at how many users get to the point of sharing what they do with
> it. We shouldn't remove that from the community.
>
> Don't understimate this kind of stuff.

I do understand that people like theming but I also believe theming a
login screen leads to bad results. We should permit people to do so
but it's not a stopper for me.

I think if we ship gdm 2.24, a working themeable greeter
implementation and a configuration GUI will popup in the Ubuntu forums
during the first month.

It's like telling people we can't ship an audio player because it does
not handle GUI skins yet. Most of us want a working tool in the first
place, customizable GUI is just an eye-candy gimmick :)

--
Patryk Zawadzki