Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 06:39:57AM +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 18:53 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > > PS. I'm still unclear about what opening the big tent means exactly -
> > > does it mean having a number of criteria, and any application meeting
> > > those criteria becomes part of GNOME? Does that imply abandoning the
> > > release sets?
> >
> > Yes, this is nothing really new. I heard Federico already thought about
> > it for a while. The details are very hard, however, yeah.. it would
> > abandon the release sets.
> [snip]
>
> I think certification is a good idea to try, if it's simple - just 2 or
> 3 levels. But abandoning the release sets would be a major mistake.

I imagine it would be combined. Only  a distinction between Platform and
apps. Perhaps additional 'really core'.

> Almost no modules will actually meet all your certification levels. You
> need things to be in release sets so they get that regular pressure to
> keep up the standards and keep to the schedule, for every GNOME release.

That was something we were discussing. More suggestions are very
welcome.

Also things like new deprecations: if something is newly deprecated, how
to certify applications, or applications which were already certified.

I think they should be certified/included until the next major.

Basically we have ideas on how stuff should work, the details are just
very difficult.

> Try extra stuff, but please don't abandon the release sets until
> something else is proven to be working.
>
> I also don't see how this needs to be part of a GNOME 3.0.

The proposal is about changing stuff. Not about 3.0. The naming of 3.0
is just a small part.

However, I combining this with a version change is nice, it shows a
change in direction.

--
Regards,
Olav