Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Hi,

Dave Neary wrote:
> I think we need to wrap this up as like this, and no more:
>
> We're moving to a 6 month/2 year time-based cycle. Our first 2-year
> cycle started in March (that means we're now behind schedule! Ouch!)
>
> 2 year cycle: Identify big overriding theme - current low-hanging fruit
> would be web integration, presence, geo-positioning, IM - the platform
> for these exists, all that is needed is to turn that into real
> user-available features - for each application or group of applications,
> do the specification work (eg. Rhythmbox with an "Upcoming concerts from
> this artist (and similar artists) in your area" - information all
> available from Last.fm and geoclue - would rock). We're not going to get
> all this done in one cycle, but it creates a goal, something to aim for
> & push people towards
>
> 6-month cycle: As you were. Keeps platform & apps stable and evolving.
>
> For the moment, we've decided to move to the cycle. Now we need to have
> a process which arrives at a finality - realistic user-targetted goals
> which will benefit users, and not have us drowning in a massive rewrite.

So, release team, opinions? I understand that Luis's rant (sorry Luis)
may have been deflating, but I'm giving a lightning presentation on the
State of GNOME at OSCon next week, and the 3.0 thing is bound to come up
- I'd *really* like to be able to say something along the lines of "2
years between major releases, 6 month between incremental releases, and
we've started the first cycle of that already - the release team is
working with maintainers & community to plan the major arc of features
for 3.0".

Can I say that and not be telling a lie?

Cheers,
Dave.

PS. I'm still unclear about what opening the big tent means exactly -
does it mean having a number of criteria, and any application meeting
those criteria becomes part of GNOME? Does that imply abandoning the
release sets?

--
Dave Neary
GNOME Foundation member