Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Hi,

First reactions, on a quick read:

Please don't put the technical justification "API & ABI break" front &
center. Users don't care, and it will be a handicap the next time we
want to bump major versions, even without an API break. Along the same
lines, I'd remove the API/ABI FAQ.

Better to be honest, and say "GNOME evolves, and it's important to
signal every couple of years that we have important new features. GNOME
2.30 will not be the same as GNOME 2.22, and GNOME 2.22 is nothing like
GNOME 2.0" - GNOME version numbers don't matter to developers - GTK+
version numbers *might*, but they're a different kettle of fish.

Version numbers matter to users, and to the press.

Again a communication issue, but I'd invert "Focus on the platform", and
make it "Be an inclusive gathering place for application developers".
"Focus on the platform" sounds like "remove focus from applications" -
not the message you want to send.

I'd put front & center: "GNOME 3 is an evolution of GNOME 2.28, and will
not be a complete rewrite of large chunks of platform or applications".
Reassure people that we're not doing a GNOME 2/KDE 4.

I'd also remove some of the "Critical factors" - specifically "Libraries
should be rewritten..." is scary. Re-write as "GNOME 2.x and GNOME 3.x
libraries should be parallel installable". Remove the glib example
altogether, it's just confusing.

I'd also put more emphasis on what I considered the really interesting
part of the proposal - planned major version number jumps every 2-3
years, with a major feature arc planned for this period, withing the
framework of the 6 monthly releases.

It also sounds like you're thinking of completely doing away with the
Desktop, Admin and Developer release sets... is that the case? If it's
not, then you might want to reword the "what will I need to do to be a
GNOME project?" bits.

Cheers,
Dave.

--