Re: Fix java-gnome version

Hi Andrew,

Le vendredi 29 février 2008, à 13:43 +1100, Andrew Cowie a écrit :
> On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 16:49 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > I'm going the conservative way and releasing with
> > 2.16.x
>
> Olav said he already did the work to include the current version. Why
> don't you just leave that alone?
>
> >  As far as I understand it, 4.0 is a development version that
> > will lead to a stable 4.2.
>
> Don't you get it? java-gnome 4.0.x is the *only* version. It has been
> the only version for over two years now.

[...]

> One last time: java-gnome 4.0.6 are the only Java bindings for GNOME
> supported by the community around the java-gnome project. It is the
> current version, and should be listed as the Java bindings for GNOME
> 2.22.

You didn't reply to the questions in my previous mail. There's a reason
I asked them. So here they are again:

===
I guess this is breaking compatibility with older versions? If yes, we
need to advertize this.

Also, is API stable in those releases, or is it still in development?
Last time I asked, I was told the status of the new java-gnome was
beta.
===

The reason I'm worred is that I don't know if API will be broken between
4.0.x and 4.2.0.

Also, there's a real communication problem here: I asked about the very
same thing at the beginning of 2007 and got told that 4.0.x was a
development version and that there'd be a stable version to include in
GNOME. See
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2007-January/msg00017.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2007-March/msg00192.html

It's important to let the release team know about how things are going.