Re: Moving Gtk2-Perl to GNOME infrastructure

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 12:33:29PM +0200, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:
> Let's get going on this again.
>
> Olav Vitters wrote:
> >> Is your preference against a gnome-perl repository set in stone?  If so,
> >> how do you suggest we deal with the directories I mentioned in my
> >> previous mail?  To recap: we have a few things in our repository that
> >> don't belong to one binding but rather to all of them:
> >
> > Unsure. While this layout might make sense from the possibilities of
> > SVN; there will be some switch in future. Further, our infra isn't setup
> > to support anything other than /branches,/trunk,/tags.
>
> OK, I give in.  Let's use separate SVN directories for every module:
>
>   perl-Cairo			*
>   perl-ExtUtils-Depends		*
>   perl-ExtUtils-PkgConfig	*
>   perl-Glib
>   perl-Gnome2
>   perl-Gnome2-Canvas
>   perl-Gnome2-Dia
>   perl-Gnome2-GConf
>   perl-Gnome2-PanelApplet
>   perl-Gnome2-Print
>   perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
>   perl-Gnome2-VFS
>   perl-Gnome2-Vte
>   perl-Gnome2-Wnck
>   perl-GStreamer		*
>   perl-GStreamer-GConf		*
>   perl-GStreamer-Interfaces	*
>   perl-Gtk2
>   perl-Gtk2-GladeXML
>   perl-Gtk2-GLExt
>   perl-Gtk2-Html2
>   perl-Gtk2-MozEmbed
>   perl-Gtk2-Recent
>   perl-Gtk2-SourceView
>   perl-Gtk2-Spell
>   perl-Gtk2-TrayIcon
>   perl-Gtk2-TrayManager
>
> The question then is what to do about the modules marked with *.
>
> - perl-Cairo and perl-GStreamer and friends are bindings for stuff on the
> freedesktop infrastructure.  I'd still like to have them in the same place as
> the rest.
>
> - perl-ExtUtils-Depends and perl-ExtUtils-PkgConfig are build-time helper
> modules that are required by every module, so I'd like to keep them in the
> same place as well.

I'm fine with having those in SVN.

> >>   docs/	- generic documentation applying to all our bindings
> >>   helpers/	- helper programs to aid developing bindings

Regarding docs: How are these written? Could they be put on
library.gnome.org (requires tarballs, supports plain HTML, docbook,
gtk-doc.. IIRC)? Could perhaps do a perl-docs 'fake' tarball.

> We'll just host those on the website.  They don't have to be version-controlled.
>
> >>   Makefile	- a Makefile to build all or a subset of our bindings
>
> Could be superseded by a jhbuild module set.
>
> What do you think?

Good idea. Only wonder about the documentation bit.

--
Regards,
Olav