Re: GNOME 2.17 dependency: gamin 0.1.7 -> 0.1.8 ?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 03:49:44PM -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com> wrote:
> >> We're allowing external dependencies to be updated at any time during
> >> the cycle.  Though, of course, safeness of the bump ("is it a bugfix
> >> release or something more?") becomes a big factor in the decision once
> >> we start hitting freezes.
> >
> >  just FYI, gamin 0.1.8 was released Oct 31 2006
> >
> >  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gamin-list/2006-October/msg00004.html
>
> Just FYI, allowed external dependencies of GNOME modules are no longer
> updated unless proposed according to the rules at
> http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies.  Release
> date of said modules thus isn't really relevant (unless, of course,
> dealing with unstable versions of external dependencies in which case
> the planned stable release date is very important).

 I see gamin 0.1.8 on that page, so I don't understand what you mean,
maybe someone else did the update ?

W.r.t. "make a good case for it on desktop-devel-list" I'm afraid I not
tempted to go there, and must admit I feel the same for libxml2 and
libxslt. I assume as long as other people care the status quo is just fine.
Also note that libxml2 and libxslt upstream releases are now uploaded
on ftp://xmlsoft.org/xml/ only (I got an issue once trying to cancel
a broken release on the gnome FTP servers and will now stick to a server
on which I have complete control, I also want to have the signed source
RPM with my PGP key date and host of packaging embedded available on the
main server). But that should not really be a problem, in general libxml2
and libxslt are packaged as part of the OS, and I doubt GNOME really relies
on features from the latest versions at any point in time.

Daniel