Re: opal and pwlib dependencies of ekiga

Hi guys,

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 09:38:14AM +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le vendredi 06 octobre 2006 à 00:11 -0600, Elijah Newren a écrit :
> > Hi Damien!
> >
> > Not sure if you noticed, but there was a lot of discussion on d-d-l
> > last month about external dependencies (following heavy build
> > problems/issues in previous cycles) and we've moved to a different way
> > of handling them.  The new method is outlined at
> > http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies.  It was
> > announced/made official last month, but it looks like we missed
> > something at the time that has caused a little snag.  That snag is
> > that ekiga CVS currently depends on versions of opal and pwlib newer
> > than what is listed there.  So, we need to find a solution.
> > Possibilities:
> >
> >   - Just use ekiga v2_0_3 tag in the development version of GNOME for now.
> >   - Get new releases of opal and pwlib out at easily downloadable
> > locations, and send an email to d-d-l requesting that the minimum
> > version for those two packages be bumped.

this happens with about every release of Ekiga/GnomeMeeting, thus it's
not new. By now the upstream of OPAL/PWLib is readying the public
downloads. That will make them available in a location that is
officially regarded as "upstream" by everyone and thus the best
solution. Elijah, you're right that it's bad to have such a latency, but
hey, we're all not paid for this, thus if we want to deliver quality
service, that comes at the cost that the people involved will need to
sit down and take their time when they got some (like me right now).

Damien, I know you've tried to search for me, but everything around here
is really quite stressful and my move to a new appartment still due.
Hopefully I'll get round to checking the CVS builds and writing the mail
you asked for tomorrow or so. Right now I'll try a testbuild with the
new official tarballs of opal&pwlib and see if we can't make them debian
release bits move in these days.

--
Cheers
Kilian