Re: opal and pwlib dependencies of ekiga

Hi Elijah,

Le vendredi 06 octobre 2006 à 00:11 -0600, Elijah Newren a écrit :
> Hi Damien!
>
> Not sure if you noticed, but there was a lot of discussion on d-d-l
> last month about external dependencies (following heavy build
> problems/issues in previous cycles) and we've moved to a different way
> of handling them.  The new method is outlined at
> http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies.  It was
> announced/made official last month, but it looks like we missed
> something at the time that has caused a little snag.  That snag is
> that ekiga CVS currently depends on versions of opal and pwlib newer
> than what is listed there.  So, we need to find a solution.
> Possibilities:
>
>   - Just use ekiga v2_0_3 tag in the development version of GNOME for now.
>   - Get new releases of opal and pwlib out at easily downloadable
> locations, and send an email to d-d-l requesting that the minimum
> version for those two packages be bumped.
>   - Make dependencies on opal>2.2.3, pwlib>1.10.2 optional.
>
> I've updated http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/Desktop to follow
> the first of these for now (and updated jhbuild accordingly), but that
> may be suboptimal long term.  What'd work best for you?

Making the dependencies optional is not possible as the API is changing
between major releases.

I do not really know what is best, and I will let you chose. The
situation is the following :
- the v2_0_3 tag is not evolving anymore, but depends on fixed versions
of opal.
- HEAD is evolving, but depends on variable release numbers for pwlib
and opal.

However, latest source snapshots against which HEAD compiles are always
available here :
http://snapshots.seconix.com/cvs/
(opal-cvs.tar.gz and pwlib-cvs.tar.gz)

So playing with them could be the right solution.

However, I have a very bad news. Kilian (in CC), is managing that
repository and has the control over it. However, we have no news from
him since more than one month.

I would suggest depending on the v2_0_3 tag for now. When he is back, or
when we have solved the problem, we can use HEAD again and download the
corresponding tarballs from there.

Thanks,
--
 _      Damien Sandras