Re: New dependency?

On 6/7/06, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, June 6, 2006 18:47, Elijah Newren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like system-tools-backends now has a hard dependency on
> Net::DBus (perl bindings to dbus).  I don't recall seeing this
> discussed anywhere (my apologies if I missed it), and I'm not sure
> that the community would be accepting of it as a dependency for the
> Gnome desktop (I'm not saying it wouldn't be, just that I'm not sure
> it would be).  Granted, system-tools-backends is classified as an
> external module, but gnome-system-tools depends on it.  We'll need to
> get this resolved somehow; either making it a soft dependency or
> getting community consensus to accept it (and possibly thus blessing
> perl bindings in general).  Suggestions?
>
> Thanks for all your hard work on GNOME system tools.  :)

I think we'll reach consensus that it's okay to use it: aren't we in
love with dbus now? ;-) Also, I'm a bit reluctant on imposing

Yes, but we (as a community) have not shown a love for
any-and-all-bindings as dependencies, which I thought would be the
sticking point.  It took quite some discussion over the years to get
the python dependency accepted.  It may well turn out to be okayed by
the community, but we'd have to find out.  :)

There's probably a limit to what we can impose on external
dependencies, sure, but I think accepting everything would likely
cause problems too (after all, that's the whole reason we need
consensus on new dependencies for internal projects; also - libsexy
anyone?).  Considering that it was hard to get g-s-t into the release
set, I wanted to avoid any big ruckus when others discovered the
dependency (assuming they haven't already).

Anyway, just my thoughts...