Planner-list Idea for exporter creating gantt with Simile Timelines

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 09:58:47AM +0200, Laurent Ach wrote:
> The interest of the XSL I made for my Company, is that it adds support for
> Timeline (http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/) from existing XSL files I
> integrated, and matches an organizations of tasks with a project level
> (Planner tasks at first level) and a task level (Planner tasks at a
> sub-level, i.e. indented once). Here is an example :
> http://extranet.cantoche.com/tools/xsl_planner. The corresponding planner
> file and source code are here:
> http://extranet.cantoche.com/tools/xsl_planner/xsl_planner.tar.gz (the code
> should be cleaned a bit). If you think it worth, I would be glad if it would
> be integrated in Planner export.

To anyone else listening in, now is the time to chip in with comments.
What do you think of this?

There's two things we need to consider. (I'm being critical here, but not in
a negative way.)

The first is that I'd like to have a clear idea of the purpose of this
export. For instance the purpose of the existing HTML export is to
create a self-contained representation of the plan that can be viewed by
(almost) any browser and is as close in appearance to what you see in
Planner as possible.
What would make this format something that a lot of people could use?
Is it general enough to represent any plan?
What would be its distinguishing features besides the visually nice
timelines?

The second is the licensing. Would any simile code need to be integrated
with Planner? I guess the answer depends on if we want the result to be
usable off-line. I'll have to check how Gnome normally deals with the
inclusion of BSD-licensed code.

Regards,
Maurice.

--