Re: [Planner] Constraint on resource

Hi Darrell,

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 16:57, Darrell Esau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble making Planner do what I want -- it is very possible it's
> just a misunderstanding on my part.
>
> This is what I'm trying to make happen:
>
> I create a new project, add 1 resource (Joe/Work).
> I then create 1 task which has a duration of 1 day and assign Joe 100%.
> I then create another task which has a duration of 1 day and assign Joe 100%.
>
> I would expect that Joe can only put out 1 day of work in 1 day, which would
> mean that it would take 2 days to complete these two tasks (given the current
> resource allocation).
>
> However, Planner shows that Joe can do these in parallel and it will only take
> 1 day total.

Sounds like you're talking about resource leveling.  There's a new
'Resource Usage' view that's been developed for Planner v0.12, which is
very helpful in showing where resources are over allocated.  Although
I'm not sure exactly when, v0.12 should be released soon.

> I understand that I can link the two with a predecessor link, however is there
> any way to get Planner to count resource allocation into the completion
> dates?

Not currently.  Some project management tools include automated resource
leveling capability, but its not yet been implemented for Planner yet.
In my experience, its usually best to manually do the leveling since its
real difficult to get the program to know what you want to do in all
instances, and you end up changing most of what the leveling tool did
anyway, so I think the team went the right route in keeping it simple -
at least for the time being.

Hope this helps.

--
Kurt Maute <Kurt Maute us>