Re: [Planner] Constraint on resource

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 22:57, Darrell Esau wrote:
> Hello,

Hi

> I would expect that Joe can only put out 1 day of work in 1 day, which would
> mean that it would take 2 days to complete these two tasks (given the current
> resource allocation).

This way, there would be no way to do extra hours.

> However, Planner shows that Joe can do these in parallel and it will only take
> 1 day total.
>
> I understand that I can link the two with a predecessor link, however is there
> any way to get Planner to count resource allocation into the completion
> dates?

As kurt said, there'll be a new view (resource usage) in order to level
the work load. There's no planned tool to limit the resource load. The
reson is there's too much parameters for the time being in order to tell
Planner how he should behave:
 - some will allow extra hours where some wouldn't,
 - some are based on a given number of resources whereas other can get
as many resources as they whish,
 - some are based on cost cut and others on shorter time.

http://lists.imendio.com/pipermail/planner/2004-January/000071.html
gives an example of how bad resource constraints can be.

However, as I'll soon get some time to hack again and now that Python is
available again to Planner, I'll *try* to do something for resource
leveling for post 0.12.

Regards,
Xavier Ordoquy.