Re: [Planner Dev] Hacking Planner / maintainership

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 00:51 +0200, Martin-�ic Racine wrote:
> ma, 2005-11-21 kello 20:15 -0500, Kurt Maute kirjoitti:
>
> > We don't have a specific long term roadmap for Planner at the moment,
> > although I did meet with Mikael, Richard, and more briefly with Miguel
> > de Icaza at the Gnome Summit, and we had some good discussion around
> > migrating Planner to Mono, which would enable us to be more
> > multi-platform compatible and ought to speed development as C# is a
> > higher level language.
>
> I honestly hope this won't happen.
>
> Having tried Tomboy and other recent Mono-based applications, I really
> must say that I find the whole thing to be slow and bloated as hell. The
> sheer amount of dependencies is also downright ridiculous. Please, no.

On the slow and bloated issue - having not looked for any, I'm wondering
if there are any performance benchmarks or comparisons out there.

I'd like to hear some more opinions on this - for or against.

One downside to moving to Mono would be that Red Hat would no longer
include Planner with its distributions (since they won't or can't
distribute Mono).  I'm most interested in using the best toolset for
Planner, though.

Thoughts?

--
Kurt Maute <kurt maute us>