Re: [Planner Dev] First version of planner e-d-s importer in planner CVS

On lör, 2004-08-14 at 06:00 +0200, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:

> > We probably need to have a way to identity a certain e-d-s instance and
> > never sync unless it's the right one (possibly with special casing for
> > the ldap case, if possible).
> >

> The e-d-s instance has a unique identifier. This identifier is link to
> the machine where it was generated and also, has a unique serial number.
> So this is the way to identify a e-d-s instance.
>
> In Planner, take a look to 621 line change in he right column:
>
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/planner/src/planner-eds-plugin.c?r1=1.3&r2=1.4
>
> And this is how UIDs are generated:
>
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/evolution-data-server/libedataserver/e-uid.c?rev=1.2&view=auto
> (e_uid_new)

Hm, this doesn't solve the situation I was talking about, does it?

First, lots of computers are named localhost => not unique. And also if
two users on the same machine exchanges files, they can have the same
ID.

On the other hand, the generated ID is probably "unique enough" for this
to work. But it's not a very nice solution, in my opinion.

> Actually, only when importing resources that have the same uid that one
> that exists in planner, the update of the resource in planner is done.
> So if you send me a file and I import some resources from evolution, it
> is impossible to  update your resources with my resources if they are
> local.

It's not impossible. It's possible that we happen to have the same id
for two different contacts in our e-d-s. The probability for it to
happen might be sufficently slim though.

> If they come from a ldap, I have to take a look af the uid
> generation because I feel they will be shared so updates will occur, and
> I think this is what we want.

That would work fine.

If we can check that the e-d-s instance is the same, we can sync
automatically, or if it's ldap, we can sync automatically always.

Imendio HB, http://www.imendio.com/